Last Updated: June 30, 2020
This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes how the S&C Electric Company (“us,” “we,” “S&C”) collects and otherwise processes your personal data in connection with:
- Your use of our website (www.sandc.com) and customer portals;
- Our recruitment processes;
- Your communications with us through other channels, such as if you call our customer service center, interact with us at an event, or otherwise contact us; and
- Any other circumstances in which we refer you to this Notice.
This Notice does not apply to personal data that we collect in the context of your employment or other working relationship with S&C. If you are an employee or other worker of S&C, please refer to your Human Resources Department. This Notice does, however, contain disclosures related to our use of personal data pertaining to the family members, next of kin, beneficiaries and/or dependents of our current and former personnel in connection with the provision of benefits and similar services.
If you have any questions or complaints about this Notice or our information practices, please contact us using the information below.
Personal Data We Process
Depending on how you interact with us, we may process the following categories of personal data about you:
- Direct Identifiers, such as your first and last name, mailing address (including zip code), e-mail address, telephone and facsimile numbers, and date of birth.
- Commercial Information, such as credit card number and related information.
- Communication Information, such as the content of communications when you contact us via our hotline, an online form or enter a contest.
- Professional or Employment-Related Information, such as employer, job title and department, resume/curriculum vitae, cover letter, background information, and work history and qualifications; we may also process the personal data of references.
- Internet Activity Information, such as IP address and other device identifiers.
- Other Information you may provide us through your use of our website or services, or by otherwise interacting with us.
We collect personal data from:
- Direct interactions, such as when you enquire about our services, register for an event with us, provide us with information in connection with our services, participate in surveys or questionnaires, subscribe to a newsletter or in any way engage with us or our workers;
- Cookies and other Data Collection Technologies, such as when you interact with our website or click on links on our emails;
- Through social media, such as if you link to social media platforms or use social media plug-ins, in which case we may (depending on your user privacy settings on that social media platform) automatically receive information about you from that social media platform;
- Third parties, such as customers, contractors, consultants and suppliers; and
- Security systems, such as when you visit our offices and we obtain closed circuit television (“CCTV”) footage and other information through electronic means such as security/swipe card records.
S&C also automatically collects certain other data when you visit our website. This data is collected in aggregated form and includes the type of web browser and operating systems used. This information cannot be used to identify you, but is useful for improving the user experience on our website.
How We Use Your Personal Data
S&C collects your personal data in order to operate our business, improve our services, and support your participation in the activities you select. The personal data we collect may be used in the following ways:
Use of Personal Data
Categories of Personal Data Used
Processing and fulfilling purchases of products or services
Direct Identifiers and Commercial Information, including first and last name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, and credit card number
Contract: We use your personal data to complete your purchases and other transactions. We use a third party payment processor to process your payment card information and generally do not retain payment card information on our systems.
Direct Identifiers and Communication Information, including first and last name and email address
Direct Identifiers, including first and last name, email address, mailing address, and telephone numbers
Legitimate Interests: To provide you with information we think may be of interest to you.
Note that we may obtain your consent to use your personal data for internal marketing purposes if required by law.
Entry in contests
Direct Identifiers, including first and last name, mailing address, email address, and telephone number
Legitimate Interests: We use your personal data to allow you to participate in a contest that you entered.
Direct Identifiers and Professional or Employment-Related Information, including first and last name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, background information, work history and qualifications, and other information, such as your resume, any cover letter/application and reference information, relevant to potential recruitment by S&C.
Legitimate Interests: We use your personal data so that we can evaluate your application and make employment and other hiring decisions.
Pre-contractual Measures: To recruit and evaluate potential candidates to join S&C.
Legal Obligation: Where processing is required by statutory law including in the field of employment law.
Processing of certain employment/worker information and provision of benefits
Direct Identifiers, including names, dates of birth, address, and phone numbers
Contract: We use personal data belonging to you and your family so that we can provide certain employment or other worker benefits.
Legitimate Interest: To provide attractive and effective benefit packages and related services to our personnel.
Analytics and website traffic analysis
Internet Activity Information, such as IP address and device identifiers
Legitimate Interests: We use your personal data to that we can understand how individuals use our website and make decisions on how we can improve our website.
We only process Special Categories of personal data if you give us your explicit consent, the processing is necessary to meet a legal or regulatory obligation, the processing is in connection with the establishment, exercise or defense of our claims, or is otherwise expressly permitted by applicable laws. Special Categories of personal data includes information about your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, genetic data, biometric data, and data concerning health, sex life, and sexual orientation.
How We Share Your Personal Data
We may share your personal data with third parties for the purposes described at the time we collect your personal data, at your direction, with your consent, or in the following situations:
- Service providers and suppliers: S&C may provide your personal data to third parties who help us operate and provide our services, such service providers for information technology and telecommunications (such as data centers, hosting providers, email service providers), marketing, accounting, shipping, delivery, and other business process outsourcing providers. We provide our third-party service providers only with the personal data necessary to provide their services. S&C’s service providers may only process your personal data for purposes of providing services to us.
- Business partners: S&C may use personal data that you choose to provide to select third parties in order to keep you informed about products and services offered by those third parties. However, S&C will not sell or distribute your personal data to other companies or organizations for their own marketing or other promotional purposes.
- Affiliates: S&C may share your personal data with our affiliate companies to accomplish the processing activities described above.
- Other third parties if reasonably necessary:
- In relation to a merger, sale, acquisition, divesture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, bankruptcy, or other change of ownership or control (whether in whole or in part); and
International Data Transfer
S&C is committed to complying with this Privacy Notice and European data protection laws with regard to information transferred from the European Economic Area (“EEA”). The laws in the United States and other countries outside the EEA may not be as protective as the laws in Europe. Because of this, S&C has taken steps to protect your privacy and fundamental rights when your personal data is transferred to the United States (and to other countries where no adequacy decision of the European Commission exists). For transfers to S&C entities outside the EEA, we make use of the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses.
If you would like to know more about how we protect your personal data, or obtain a copy of the adequate safeguards, you can contact us using the information in the section “Contact Us” at the end of this Notice.
Cookies and Other Data Collection Technology
A “Cookie” is a small text file that is sent to or accessed from your web browser or your computer’s hard drive. A Cookie typically contains the name of the domain (internet location) from which the Cookie originated, the “lifetime” of the Cookie (when it expires), and a randomly generated unique number or other similar identifier. A Cookie may also contain information about your computer, such as user settings, browsing history and activities conducted while using our online services.
A “Web Beacon” (also called a “pixel tag” or “clear GIF”) is a piece of computer code that enables us to monitor user activity and website traffic.
We refer to Cookies, Web Beacons, and other similar technology as “Data Collection Technology.” To learn more about cookies and web beacons, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Data Collection Technology helps us improve your experience on our online services. For example, we use Google Analytics, a web-based analytics tool that tracks and reports on the manner in which the website is used to help us to improve it. Google Analytics does this by placing Cookies on your device. The information that the Cookies collect, such as the number of visitors to the website, the pages visited and the length of time spent on the website, is aggregated. We also may use Data Collection Technology to collect information from the computer or device that you use to access our online services, such as your operating system type, browser type, domain and other system settings, as well as the language your system uses and the country and time zone in which your computer or device is located.
We generally use the following types of Data Collection Technologies, which may change from time to time: session, permanent, and third-party cookies.
Some web browsers (including some mobile web browsers) provide settings that allow you to control or reject Cookies or alert you when a Cookie is placed on your device. You may also be able to reject mobile device identifiers by activating the appropriate setting on your mobile device. Although you are not required to accept Cookies or mobile device identifiers, if you block or reject them, you may not have access to all features available through our online services.
Some web browsers incorporate a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) or similar feature that signals to websites that a user does not want to have his or her online activity and behavior tracked. If a website that responds to a particular DNT signal receives the DNT signal, the browser can block that website from collecting certain information about the browser’s user. We follow the DNT signals we receive from your browsers.
We will keep your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including any legal, accounting or reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data, whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and all applicable legal requirements.
We implement appropriate technical and organizational measures designed to protect your personal data from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, alteration, or destruction, in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. For example, we:
- Limit access of your personal data to authorized parties;
- Limit our collection and use of your personal data to the extent necessary to provide you with our services; and
- Use third party service providers who can meet our data protection standards and have the ability to comply with applicable data protection laws.
If you would like to know more about how we protect your personal data, you can contact us using the information in the section “Contact Us” at the end of this Notice.
Your Rights and Choices
You have the right to correct your personal data at any time. Therefore, please advise us of any changes to your information.
Disclosures for EEA Individuals
If no S&C entity has been clearly identified, the data controller or data controllers may be identified in the following order or precedence:
- For personal data that S&C collects on or through its websites, S&C Electric Company (US) is the data controller.
- For personal data that is collected in connection with our newsletters and other marketing message, the data controller is identified on the subscription form and in each message.
- For communications and activities, the data controller is the Entity that is identified in the respective communication or in the context of the activity.
- For personal data collected in the context of a recruitment process, the data controller is the Entity identified in the job posting or otherwise seeking to source a position.
- For personal data that S&C collects pursuant to a contractor or other similar relationship, the S&C entity with which you have the contractor or other similar relationship is the data controller.
- For activities in the context of the procurement of products and services, the data controller will be the Entity identified in the order form, agreement, or similar document.
If you have any doubt about the controller or controllers of your personal data, please contact us using the information in the section “Contact Us” at the end of this Privacy Notice. Contact information for each data controller may be found on www.sandc.com.
If you are located in the EEA, you have the following additional rights with respect to the personal data we maintain about you:
- Right of access and correction: You have the right to request details on your personal data held by S&C. You also have the right to ask S&C to update or correct inaccurate or incomplete personal data held by S&C.
- Right of restriction, objection, and erasure: You have the right to request that S&C stop using all or some of your personal data, to limit S&C’s use of it, and that S&C erase it, if certain conditions are met. You also have the right to object to the processing of your personal data when the processing is based upon S&C’s legitimate interest.
- Right to data portability: You have the right to request a copy of your personal data, free of charge and in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format, if certain conditions are met.
- Right to withdraw consent: You have the right to withdraw any consent you have previously given to S&C at any time. Your withdrawal of consent does not affect the lawfulness of S&C’s collecting, using, and sharing of your personal data prior to the withdrawal of your consent. Even if you withdraw your consent, in certain limited circumstances S&C may have the right to continue to use your personal data.
- Right to contact your Supervisory Authority: If you are not satisfied with S&C’s response to a privacy-related request, you have the right to lodge a complaint with your Supervisory Authority.
If you wish to exercise any of your rights above, please contact us using the information in the section “Contact Us” at the end of this Notice. We may charge you a reasonable fee if you request additional copies of your personal data or make other requests that are manifestly unfounded or excessive. In so far as practicable and required under law, we will notify third parties with whom we have shared your personal data of any request for correction, deletion, and/or restriction to the processing of your personal data. Please note that we cannot guarantee third parties will comply with your requests and we encourage you to contact those third parties directly.
Please note that if you decide to exercise some of your rights, we may be unable to perform the actions necessary to achieve the purposes set out above or you may not be able to use or take full advantage of the services and products we offer.
Your California Privacy Rights
S&C primarily provides services to other businesses. In the course of our operations, we may collect limited personal data from you through your use of our website or other services. If you are a resident of California, you are entitled to the following privacy rights listed below.
- The right to know. You have the right to request to know the specific pieces and/or the categories of personal data we maintain about you, the sources of that data, the purposes we collected it, the categories of personal data we have disclosed or sold in the last 12 months, and the categories of third parties to whom we’ve disclosed or sold your personal data in the last 12 months. Generally:
- Within the last 12 months, S&C has collected the categories of personal data detailed in the section titled“Personal Data We Process” above.
- S&C has not disclosed personal data in the preceding 12 months.
- S&C collects personal data for the purposes identified in the section titled “How We Use Your Personal Data” above.
- The right to deletion. You have the right to request that we delete the personal data that we have collected or maintain about you. We may deny your request under certain circumstances, such as if we need to comply with our legal obligations or complete a transaction for which your personal data was collected. If we deny your request for deletion, we will let you know the reason why.
- The right to opt out of the sale of your personal data. You have the right to opt out of the sale of your personal data. S&C does not and will not sell your personal data. If we change our business practices, we will update this Notice, notify you and honor your right to opt out of the sale of your personal data.
- The right to equal service. If you choose to exercise any of these rights, S&C will not discriminate against you in any way. If you exercise certain rights, understand that you may be unable to use or access certain features of S&C’s websites or services.
You (or an agent you authorize) may exercise your right to know and your right to deletion twice a year free of charge. To exercise your right to know or your right to deletion, contact us at (+1) (773) 338-1000 (ask for Legal & Compliance Department) or complete our “California Consumer Request” form available here:
We will take steps to verify your (and any agent’s) identity before processing your request to know or request to delete. We will not fulfill your request unless you have provided sufficient information for us to reasonably verify you are the individual about whom we collected personal data. For example, we may request additional information about you to verify your identity, or we may request a signed document from you that authorizes your agent to make the request on your behalf. To protect your personal data, we reserve the right to deny a request from an agent that does not submit proof that they have been authorized by you to act on their behalf.
Shine the Light: California residents are entitled to request and obtain from S&C once per calendar year information about any of your personal data shared with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes, including the categories of information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we have shared such information. You may submit your request to the information in the section “Contact Us” at the end of this Notice and include “Shine the Light” in the subject line of your email.
If you do not wish to receive marketing-related emails from us, please click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of a marketing email, or email us using the information in the section “Contact Us” at the end of this Notice. Please note that even if we stop all marketing communications, you may still receive administrative, legal, and other important communications from us.
The S&C website and services are directed to adults aged 16 and older. S&C does not knowingly collect personal data from children under 16 years of age. If S&C discovers that it has collected personal data from a child under 16, S&C will take reasonable measures to obtain the consent of that child’s parent or guardian prior to further processing that child’s personal data. If S&C cannot obtain the consent of a parent or guardian, S&C will delete that child’s personal data from S&C’s systems.
Third Party Links
Changes and Updates
The Last Updated date of this Notice is set forth at the top of this webpage. If we materially change the way we collect, use or disclose your personal data we will notify you in advance by email and/or by placing a prominent notice on this website. The amended privacy notice supersedes all previous versions.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact S&C at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or writing or calling at:
S&C Electric Company
Attn: Legal & Compliance Department
6601 North Ridge Boulevard
Chicago, Illinois 60626-3997
The S&C Electric Company includes the following entities: S&C Electric Company (US); S&C Electric UK Holdings Limited (United Kingdom); S&C Electric Australia Pty Ltd. (Australia); S&C Electric do Brasil Ltda. (Brazil); S&C Electric China (China); S&C Electric Mexicana, S. de R.L. de C.V. (Mexico); and S&C Electric Canada Ltd. (Canada).
You may use the general contact information above to reach any one of these entities, and we will take steps to forward your questions, comments or concerns to that entity per your instruction. You may also visit our website to locate the contact information for each entity.
Acceptance of Term
Copyright; Limited License
The Materials and Services on this Site are protected by copyright and/or other intellectual property laws and any unauthorized use of the Materials or Services at this Site may violate such laws. Except as expressly provided herein, S&C and its suppliers do not grant any express or implied right to you under any patents, copyrights, trademarks, or trade secret information with respect to the Materials and Services.
Except as specifically permitted herein, no portion of the information or documents on this Site may be reproduced in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of S&C.
Use of Software
The software and accompanying documentation that are made available to download or use directly from this Site are the copyrighted work of S&C and/or its suppliers. Use of the software is governed by the terms of the end user license agreement that accompanies or is included with such software. You will not be able to download, install, or use any software that is accompanied by or includes an end user license agreement unless you agree to the terms of such end user license agreement. If you do not agree to such terms, you will not be able to use the software. You may not decompile, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the software available on the Site.
Use of Site Information
Except as otherwise indicated elsewhere on this Site, you may view, download and print the documents and information available on this Site subject to the following conditions:
- The documents and information may be used solely for personal, informational, internal, non-commercial purposes.
- The documents and information may not be modified or altered in any way.
- The documents and information on the Site may not be distributed.
- You may not remove any copyright or other proprietary notices contained in the documents and information.
- S&C reserves the right to revoke the authorization to view, download and print the documents and information available on this Site at any time, and any such use shall be discontinued immediately upon written notice from S&C.
- The rights granted to you constitute a license and not a transfer of title.
The rights specified above to view, download and print the documents and information available on this Site are not applicable to the design or layout of this Site. Elements of this Site are protected by trade dress and other laws and may not be copied or imitated in whole or in part.
Use and Protection of Account Number and Password
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account number and/or password, if applicable. You are responsible for all uses of your account, whether or not actually or expressly authorized by you.
Warranties and Disclaimers
Except as expressly provided otherwise in a written agreement between you and S&C, all materials and services on this site are provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, or the warranty of non-infringement. Without limiting the foregoing, S&C makes no warranty that (i) the services and materials will meet your requirements, (ii) the services and materials will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free, (iii) the results that may be obtained from the use of the services or materials will be effective, accurate or reliable, (iv) the quality of any products, services, or information purchased or obtained by you from the site will meet your expectations, and (v) any errors in the software obtained from the site will be corrected. Some states or jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties or limitations on how long an implied warranty may last, so the above limitations may not apply to you. To the extent permissible, any implied warranties are limited to ninety (90) days.
This site could include technical or other mistakes, inaccuracies or typographical errors. S&C may make changes to the materials and services at this site, including the prices and descriptions of any products listed herein, at any time without notice. The materials or services at this site may be out of date, and S&C makes no commitment to update such materials or services.
S&C assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in the information, documents, software, materials and/or services which are referenced by or linked to this site. References to other corporations, their services and products, are provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, either express or implied.
In no event shall S&C or its suppliers be liable to you or any third party for any special, punitive, incidental, indirect or consequential damages of any kind, or any damages whatsoever, including, without limitation, those resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether or not S&C has been advised of the possibility of such damages, and on any theory of liability, arising out of or in connection with the use of this site or of any web site referenced or linked to from this site. Some jurisdictions prohibit the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages, so the above limitations may not apply to you.
This Site contains links to third-party Web sites that are not under the control of S&C. S&C makes no representations whatsoever about any other Web site to which you may have access through this Site. When you access a non-S&C Web site, you do so at your own risk and S&C is not responsible for the accuracy or reliability of any information, data, opinions, advice, or statements made on these sites or for the quality of any products or services available on such sites. S&C provides these links merely as a convenience and the inclusion of such links does not imply that S&C endorses or accepts any responsibility for the content or uses of such Web sites.
This Site can be accessed from other countries around the world and may contain references to S&C products, services, and programs that have not been announced in your country. These references do not imply that S&C intends to announce such products, services or programs in your country.
Personal Information and Privacy
You may only submit to the Site, User Content that is (a) owned by you, (b) submitted with the express permission of the owner, or (c) in the public domain. You are prohibited from posting or transmitting to or from this Site any unlawful, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, or other materials that would violate any law or the rights of others, including without limitation, laws against copyright infringement. Violation of these restrictions may result in limitations on access by you to this Site.
Managing User Content and Communications
S&C reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to delete or remove your User Content from the Site and to restrict, suspend or terminate your access to all or part of this Site, at any time for any reason without prior notice or liability.
S&C may establish general practices and limits on the use of any Service, including, but not limited to, limits on retention time, file size, and storage space for User Content.
S&C shall have no liability or responsibility for the deletion or failure to store any information or materials in connection with any Service.
S&C may, but is not obligated to, monitor or review (i) any areas on the Site where users transmit or post User Content, including but not limited to areas where Services are available, or chat rooms, bulletin boards or other user forums, and (ii) the substance of any User Content.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, S&C will have no liability related to User Content arising under the laws of copyright, libel, privacy, obscenity, or otherwise. S&C also disclaims all liability with respect to the misuse, loss, modification, or unavailability of any User Content.
Export Control Laws; Notice to U.S. Government Users
The export and re-export of S&C software products are controlled by the United States Export Administration Regulations and such software may not be exported or re-exported to Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria or any country to which the United States embargoes goods. In addition, S&C software may not be distributed to persons on the Table of Denial Orders, the Entity List, or the List of Specially Designated Nationals.
By downloading an S&C software product you are certifying that you are not a national of Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria or any country to which the United States embargoes goods and that you are not a person on the Table of Denial Orders, the Entity List, or the List of Specially Designated Nationals.
All S&C products and publications are commercial in nature. The software and documentation available on this Site are “Commercial Items,” as that term is defined at 48 C.F.R. 2.101, consisting of “Commercial Computer Software” and “Commercial Computer Software Documentation,” as such terms are used in 48 C.F.R. 12.212 or 48 C.F.R. 227.7202, as applicable. Consistent with 48 C.F.R. 12.212 or 48 C.F.R. 227.7202-1 through 227.7202-4, as applicable, the Commercial Computer Software and Commercial Computer Software Documentation are licensed to U.S. Government end users (A) only as Commercial Items and (B) with only those rights as are granted to all other end users pursuant to the terms and conditions herein.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
This Site (excluding linked sites) is controlled by S&C from its offices within the state of Illinois, United States of America. By accessing this Site, you and S&C agree that all matters relating to your access to, or use of, this Site shall be governed by the statutes and laws of the State of Illinois, without regard to the conflicts of laws principles thereof. You and S&C also agree and hereby submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of the Circuit Court of Cook County and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois with respect to such matters. S&C makes no representation that Materials or Services available on this Site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and accessing them from territories where their contents are illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this Site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
This website has been written in the English language and the English language shall control its interpretation. In the event of any conflict between the provisions of the English website and the non-English language translation thereof, the terms of the English language version shall control.
The trademarks, logos and service marks (“Marks”) displayed on this Site are the property of S&C or other third parties. You are not permitted to use the Marks without the prior written consent of S&C or such third party which may own the Marks. S&C and the S&C logo are trademarks of S&C Electric Company. Not all trademarks are registered in all countries.